Thursday, December 20, 2012

Be Careful What You Sign Up For

Last night I had an appointment at the Science Museum of Minnesota.  A researcher there, in conjunction with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, was looking for people interested in citizen science.  I am a person interested in citizen science and since they offered a $20 credit on Amazon, I went.  I was told the museum would be closed but someone would meet me at the door.  A man did meet me at the door and he sent me up the musical stairs (love those musical stairs!) to see a woman at a desk.  I saw the woman at the desk.  She didn't see my name on her list but she gave me some papers to fill out while she figured it out.  I filled out the papers putting in my name and address.  Later in the form I was asked to indicate that the Science Museum would not be held liable if I was injured in my volunteering duties.  I seemed to be filling out an application to be a volunteer. I thought maybe this was standard before interviews so I signed that.  The next page was an authorization to do a criminal background check on me. I thought, seriously?  For an interview they need a criminal background check?  I signed that too and brought it back to the lady at the desk.  She was unable to find me on her computer.  I said I was here for an interview because of my interest in citizen science.  I was in the wrong area.  She sent me back down the musical steps where I met another woman who was waiting for me.  I had my interview.  The interview was to evaluate the questions on the interview.  She asked me to think aloud as I answered questions such as, "I enjoy learning about nature,"  or "I am interested in science."  She wasn't interested in my answers at all.  As she walked me out she explained that the other group I got caught up with were people interested in volunteering at the next Science Museum exhibit of Body World.  "Dead bodies on display?" I asked.  I told her there is no way I would volunteer for that.  I won't even go and see that exhibit.  The creepy factor is way too high.  I am interested in science and I am interested in nature but viewing dead bodies on display is not my cup of tea.  She said the people in this exhibit, unlike other exhibits, were asked for their permission to be in this show.  She said the body world exhibit at the Mall of America had some bodies of Asian prisoners who did not consent to their bodies being used.  She said lawyers made sure that the Science Museum exhibit was strictly legitimate regarding consent.  Consent or no consent, I am not volunteering for Body World.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...