Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Project Feederwatch Update

Downy Woodpecker-2, Hairy woodpecker-2, Northern Flicker-1, Red bellied woodpecker-2, Crow-2, White breasted nuthatch-2, Black Capped Chickadee-5, Goldfinch-3.  I found one bird at the tip top of the crabapple tree dangling on the end of a branch precariously trying to grab one of the last crabapples on the tree.  Thinking this might be a cedar waxwing, I grabbed for my binoculars only to find my resident chipmunk dangling up there.  This is the same chipmunk that hangs around my house and sometimes hangs out with the chickens inside the coop.  Adventurous little chipmunk I guess.  With all the snow it was difficult to see any birds or chipmunks at all.  About 11:30 I was putting groceries away and noticed two hairy woodpeckers perched on the pole that holds the suet feeder.  The suet holder was empty and the hairy woodpeckers just clung there looking at the empty holder, unable to believe their eyes.  It was really pulling at my heart strings to see them do that.  And then a little downy woodpecker flew up and clung to my screen door and looked at me through the sliding glass door.  Was it my imagination or did I see his little mouth say, "Feed me?"  With three hungry woodpeckers, one of which was looking at me through the glass with hungry eyes, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I filled the suet feeder immediately.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...