Monday, December 17, 2012

Icy Memories

This morning the first step out of the car in the parking lot at work was a doozie.  Ice covered the pavement.  As if my body had connected with a live wire I jerked in four directions at once trying to keep my balance.  I must be pretty good at adjusting my balance while jerking around because I remained vertical. Strong core muscles are critical in inclement weather.  I was reminded of the good old days of driving a rear wheel drive car.  With a rear wheel drive car on an icy road you could have a good old time "spinning cookies,"  "making doughnuts," or taking turns too fast causing your car's rear end to spin farther out that the front of the car forcing you to steer right and left to regain control. By steering back and forth the direction of the car would eventually return to the control of the steering wheel again.  Golly, that was fun.  Being a responsible young driver, I only did this in safe conditions such as frozen lakes or the cul-de-sac at the end of my road. I remember one winter day I took some of my younger siblings to the Omnitheater at the Science Museum.  Watching the rounded screen made one or two of them a little queasy.  To top off the entire sensory experience, I spun a few cookies on the way home causing them to scream and moan in protest.  Good times.  Good times. I'd like to spin a few cookies again someday.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...