Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thought Wrong

I was talking with a coworker as I left work on the Friday before Christmas.  She has two little boys, ages 3 and 6.  My kids are older.  She asked me if Christmas is easier now that my children are older.  "Oh, yes" I said. "No more getting up in the middle of the night to play Santa Claus makes it easier" I said.  I thought wrong.  Who was up from midnight until 1 a.m. on Christmas Eve preparing a gift for Christmas morning?  It was me.  Offspring #2 and I taped together a very large piece of art we had commissioned for Offspring #1.  Back in November he was late getting us the list of gifts he wanted for Christmas so we teased him by saying we were going to have his portrait done on a noble steed.  Ever the smart aleck he texted back, "Make it on a unicorn with a rainbow."  So that is what we did.  A friend of mine drew him on a unicorn with a rainbow.  My artist friend did his work in black ink.  Offspring #2 did the coloring.  She had the portrait converted to a large poster and printed the 36 or so 8 1/2 by 11 pages in color.  Together we lined up all the pages and taped them together and displayed them on the window.  Was he surprised when he came upstairs and saw his image on a pink unicorn?  Yes, I think he was.  I don't know what we're going to do with this 5 foot tall portrait but it was a fun project.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...