Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Lucky

I was talking with some guys at work about the Christmas bird count today at lunch when I realized how lucky I was to see that shrike.  I've been looking to see a shrike for about 3 years now.  I was with other people.  I might have driven right by that shrike unless someone in the back seat had her eyes open and said asked me to stop and back up. The shrike was extremely cooperative.  It did not fly off when we arrived.  Instead it sat still and let us admire it for several minutes until it turned allowing  us to admire it's other side.  And then it sat for several more minutes.  It wasn't until we started to drive away that the shrike flew off.  The shrike sat on a tree right next to the open road.  We didn't need binoculars to identify it.  The sun was shining right on the beautiful bird.  I was with someone who had identified shrikes before.  Sometimes when you see a new bird you get a passing glimpse at most. This situation wasn't like that at all. We looked at the shrike until our eyes were full and we were totally satisfied.  I was very lucky that day.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...