Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Garden In (Mostly)

I spent my three day weekend working in the dirt putting the garden in.  Spading the soil, pulling weeds, making off rows, planting seeds, and planting dreams is a favorite thing for me to do because I go into a "Zen" zone out there.  Worries melt away.  Time no longer matters.  My heart rate and blood pressure go down as I bend and stoop and carry.  I didn't find any cutworms this year which was nice.  I did dig up some bright green shiny beetles and some June bugs as well; plus lots of angleworms which means I've got good soil going on.  If all goes as planned I should be able to harvest cabbage, broccoli, onions, sunflowers, garlic,  parsley, basil, chives, rhubarb, green bell and jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, white and gold potatoes, carrots, corn, tiny pumpkins and big pumpkins.  I have had problems with tomato virus in past years so this year I didn't plant any tomatoes in the big garden. All my tomatoes are in pots this year.  Now I wait for the miracle to begin.  When the first shoots come up I get so impressed, so excited to see it happen.  I planted flowers as well.  There is more to do but I have a big chunk finished and that feels great. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...