Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cake Testing

Today I got to go to a cake testing.  Seeing how I am now the MOTG (mother of the groom) I get to go to such events as cake testings.  This one was in Wayzata.  We had two plates with six cake slices on each plates.  Between each slice was a variety of fillings; two fillings per slice.  We each got our own fork, a napkin and a glass of water.  I had a great time tasting cakes.  What is not to like?  It's cake!  Back in the good old days wedding cakes came with bride and groom figures on top.  Not any more.  Fountains are also out.  Now cakes are decorated with fresh flowers and ribbons and fondant.  Fondant looks pretty but the taste is not there.  So what's it gonna be, you ask?  Round or square?  Vanilla, chocolate, carrot, red velvet, pink velvet, butter cream frosting, or fillings of Amaretto, strawberry/banana, strawberry by itself, white chocolate, raspberry, lemon curd, vanilla bean, Bailey's, chocolate ganache, or almond?  You are just going to have to wait and find out.  Except for the red velvet cake, no artificial dyes are used in these luscious cakes.  I just had to ask what they used if they didn't used food dye.  "Luster dust," he answered, "It's made from vegetables."  Now, you see?  If I wasn't the MOTG and if I wasn't invited to a cake testing, I would NEVER have heard about luster dust.  Or was it duster lust?  No, I'm pretty sure it was luster dust (picturing some debris falling off the jacket of a peeping tom).

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...