Sunday, May 26, 2013

I Don't Remember Growing Older

The day you get your son's wedding invitation in the mail is a very special day. Anxious to rip it open but not wanting to have this special moment outside by the mail box I bring the thick envelope inside.  I put the other mail aside.  I take off my shoes and put on my warm slippers.  I stand by the window.  I don't want anyone or anything to interrupt this moment.  The canary can sing; that is okay but I will the phone not to ring and hope no one will knock at the door.  This moment has clarity.  The evening light comes in the window at an angle.  The air smells of crab apple blossoms.  I feel like I'm in a movie.  I feel tingly and all my senses are on alert.  I tear the outer envelope open.  I can hear music playing even though no music is playing. I see his name in print in a font with lots of extra swirls and curves.  I see my name on there too.  Where has the time gone?  I certainly have had a lot of fun being a Mom.  I wouldn't have missed this role in life for the world.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...