Sunday, May 5, 2013

Yard Work Today

Today the weather turned halfway decent for a change.  I got out and did as much yard work as my aching back would allow.  I turned up the soil in 1/6 of the vegetable garden.  I turned over both of my compost piles.  One of them was really gross with clusters of white maggotty worms that could really creep you out if you had a problem with that sort of thing.  Lucky for me my revulsion is short lived.  I also cut up a portion of a tree that had fallen over a path I like to keep mowed. My right bicep and tricep got a good workout on that chore.  White throated sparrows with their colorful eyebrows were flitting about on the ground peeking under the leaves.  Brown headed cowbirds sat in the tree and made that noise that sounds to me like a small pebble being dropped down a really deep well.  Hairy woodpeckers were fighting over the suet.  Just like trucks on the highway, the bigger pecker wins.  Downy's yield to Hairys.  Hairy's give way to red bellieds.  Red bellieds give way to Northern Flickers. And every pecker gives way to the Pileated.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...