Friday, May 3, 2013

I Passed The Frog Quiz

Before completing the frog and toad survey in the spring, I must complete and pass the frog quiz.  The test is a stretch for me  because I'm not used to being tested on my hearing. Taking the frog quiz is like trying to sign your name with your non-dominant hand.  Each year the quiz gets a little easier.  I think this is the fourth year we've done the survey.  I passed the test on the first try and got a score of 89.  A score of 65 is passing.  For the first time I can really tell the difference between a northern leopard frog and a pickerel frog.  Both of them are a slow snore but the leopard frog does some chuckling after the snore and that is the difference.  I put off taking the test because the frog survey keeps getting delayed. Normally we would complete the first of three surveys between April 15 and 30. This year we can't even start until May 7th. The poor frogs must be freezing out there in the swamps.  Here are some website if you want to look up some frog and toad sounds:  http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/Frogquiz/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.lookup

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...