Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Welcome Back

Birds are returning to my yard.  The sight of them lifts my spirits.  Even though the forecast and the weather don't look much like spring, see a chipping sparrow on the deck confirms the season.  I saw a hermit thrush bopping around the blue spruce in the back yard last Saturday while I was burning some branches.  A bluebird stood proudly on the septic tank pipe.  Don't get me wrong.  I like black capped chickadees, gold finches, white breasted nuthatches and woodpeckers.  But these early birds of spring, because of their migration absence, really make me happy.  I think the juncos and common redpolls have now left to go north to the arctic circle.  I haven't seen any all week.  The pileated woodpeckers, normally more sedate and elusive, have been crying and flying around the yard attracting attention like crazy.  I think two males are after the same female and my suet holder draws in all three of them. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...