Saturday, June 1, 2013

Flash Conversations

Usually when I swim I have my face in the water the entire time and don't really notice other people coming and going.  Because I've been nursing a sore shoulder I've had to adapt my workout.  Swimming a mile is too much for my bursitis or whatever it is I have going on.  So I exercise differently now and that includes running up and down the pool lanes with my head out of the water some of the time making it possible for other club members to talk to me.  Last night I had a conversation in the swimming pool that went like this,

Him: Excuse me ma'am.  I have a strange request.  Can you think of a number between one and half of your age?

Me:  Three.

Him:  Three?  Well, that will be a short work out for me tonight.  Random is the best way for me to plan my workouts. Thanks.

That was the end of that conversation.  Inside that conversation was another flash conversation that silently took place in my head.

Him:  Excuse me ma'am.  Who are you calling ma'am?  I have a strange request.  That request had better not include you coming into my lane here because that is definitely out of the question.  Can you think of a number between one and half your age?  Half my age?  Why you gotta put it that way?   I don't want you to know my age and I don't want you guessing it either.  My age is none of your business.  What is half my age?  Crap, that is a high number.  I'm not giving him a number that high.  Think fast!  Give him a low number just so he won't know my age.

Me:  Three.

Him:  Three?  Well, that will be a short work out for me tonight. Random is the best way for me to plan my workouts.  Thanks.

I don't think random IS the best way to plan your workouts.  Next time just ask for a number between 1 and 20 and leave age out of it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...