Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Owl Memories


I had an old, vague memory of a pet owl next door when I was a kid.  As an adult thinking back that sounded crazy.  Who has a pet owl?  But where would I get the idea of a pet owl unless someone actually had one?  These photos prove the owl memory, stuck way back amidst the cobwebs of my old brain, was true.  There was a pet owl; a great horned pet owl.  In the lower photo I can also see part of the garage, the pump house and the bottom structure of the wind mill.  Just the sight of these old buildings warms my heart.  The top photo is my Uncle who lived next door.  He looks like an amputee in the photo but he isn't.  Maybe he had a sore foot or something at the time.  He might be leaning on a crutch, I can't really tell.  I think I see a tether to the owl's leg. The entire background is unrecognizable from what it looks like now.  I guess that is progress.  Not being allowed to catch or trap owls and keep them tethered in your yard is also progress.  The poor old owl, I wonder what are the details to this owl story.  I'll let you know if I find out. 

1 comment:

S.C. DEBLAT said...

Sue, I'm interested in possibly using one of these photographs. I cannot seem to find your contact info! Please e-mail me at stevendeblat@gmail.com

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...