Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Girl With No Shadow

I am in the process of reading a trilogy backwards.  I started out with Peaches For Father Francis.  Now that I have finished The Girl With No Shadow I will next read Chocolat, all written by Joanne Harris.  I love these books.  In this book the story is told by three people; Yanne (aka Vianne), Annie (aka Anouk), and Zosie. Zosie is the villain in the book although she is not totally villainous and we don't really know what she wants until the end of the story.  She helps Yanne and she tries to hurt Yanne.  Zosie is manipulative and magical.  At the top of each chapter is a little drawing of a sun, a moon and a cat.  Not until the end of the book did I realize that the drawing indicated which character was telling the story.  Slow learner I guess. I just don't pay attention to little things like that but I think it would have been helpful to catch on to that more quickly.  Sometimes I had to read a paragraph or two to know who was talking. Each book in this series is a stand alone book.  You don't have to read them in order to appreciate the characters.  I like the description of Paris, of the chocolate shop, and the Christmas party where all the conflict comes to a head.  This was a great story and I can't wait to start the next one.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...