Monday, June 3, 2013

Stubborn Disbelief

Yesterday I moved the chicken coop and run away from the south side of the house and into the prairie area on the east side of the house.  Its not easy dragging the run across the lawn.  One chicken stayed in the run the entire time I moved it; it just kept up by walking with me.  But when dusk fell, the chickens were confused.  They huddled where the coop used to be.  "Where's the coop?"  All the chickens saw the new location of the coop.  All the chickens were in and out of the new coop location numerous times in the afternoon.  But when the sun set, they refused to believe it had moved.  So rigid, these chickens.  I tried to herd them to the new location.  Meredith went in and stayed there but the Buff Orpington's would not be herded.  I brought the food out, let them eat some, and then tried to lure them back with the food bucket.  They followed for a while and then went back to where the coop used to be.  "Where is the coop?"  I grabbed one chicken and carried her back to the coop and put her in.  She stayed.  I tried to herd them again with no success.  "Where is the coop?"  One by one, I had to catch and carry all five chickens and put them to bed in the new coop.  Lets hope tonight they retain the coop location and I won't have to go through that again.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...