Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Relationships

Last weekend I went to a family get together. We were saying goodbye and good luck to a young man on his way to army boot camp.  We sat outside enjoying a good meal, the company, the sunshine and the fresh air.  We heard the arrival of another aunt, uncle and cousin.  I happened to be looking at the young man's face as we heard them arrive.  Across his face a look of pure, unadulterated, supreme joy shined so bright I was taken aback.  It's an honor to have loved ones attend your boot camp going away party.  He felt honored.  I felt lucky to be present for that momentary feeling.  And if it's true that your life flashes before your eyes when you die, I hope the happy look on his face is one of the moments I review before I go.
 
"Treasure your relationships, not your possessions."  Anthony J. D'Angelo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The honor he felt may have been tempered with the comparison between him being a genius in the army much like Forrest Gump. The family lifts spirits and keeps us grounded at the same time.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...