Friday, June 7, 2013

I Got Lucky

I've seen red eyed vireos before but just a glimpse. I never really got a good look at one until this week.  I've heard them with their incessant call.  The red eyed vireo sounds like it is asking and answering a million questions because each call ends with an upswing or a downswing.  To me it sounds like, "One thousand one?  One thousand two.  One thousand one?  One thousand two."  Over and over and over the vireo asks and answers the same thing.  This week I heard one in the white oak by my front door.  The oak leaves aren't completely formed yet so I could see the red eyed vireo as it talked on and on while flitting from one branch to another.  I watched it for a good 3 minutes before it flew away.  They're not much to look at, these red eyed vireos, just a drab brown little bird. I like them because their call is easy to learn and I hear it so often in the summer I don't forget it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...