Thursday, May 1, 2014

Avian Drama

A good friend sent me a photo to my phone in the morning.  I opened it up on my cheap tracfone.  I could see oak trees in the photo and a log lying on the ground.  She lives in Savage and has property on the Gunflint Trail.  With the oak trees I figured the photo was from Savage.  But I really couldn't see why she sent the photo.  I asked and she sent me another photo but I still couldn't make it out.  I waited until I got home and put on my magnifying glasses but I still couldn't make it out.  She sent a third photo with an explanation that a cooper's hawk was the predator and she was trying to read the number on the tag on the prey's leg.  Looking again I could make out the third photo was a dismembered bird leg with a silver band on the leg.  Her fourth text was that the dead bird was a racing pigeon from a Lakeville pigeon racing flock. How cool is that?  She saw a cooper's hawk kill and consume a racing pigeon. She documented this circle of life event on her phone.  Best of all she shared it with me!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...