Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bent

There is so much to learn at these Master Naturalist conventions.  One mind can not take it all in.  Our keynote speaker on Friday night was a forest ecologist.  He thinks that in 100 years Minnesota won't have 3 biomes like we do now.  All of Minnesota, right up to and including the BWCA will be prairie.  His opinion is the quick climatic changes ahead will make for very interesting times for scientists.  I'm thinking isn't that a Chinese curse - may you live in interesting times?  He also said there is a rare rock elm on the campus of Camp Friendship.  I've never even heard of rock elms before.  On Saturday morning I got up early for the guided walk through the forest where we saw anemone in bloom and a couple warblers.  After breakfast I had a class in Minnesota wildflowers and another class called "Locking in the Light" which was about photography.  In between sessions I walked through the silent auction trying to restrain myself.  But I had seen a photo of a burr oak on a prairie with orange matting.  After taking the photography class and seeing that same photo projected on the screen, I knew I had to bid on it.  After lunch we went on a guided tour of quarry park.  I've been to quarry park before but never on a guided tour.  Our guide was a geology professor from St. Cloud State University.  She was very enthusiastic and lively but she had an asthma attack that was so bad I thought we should have called 911.  I could tell she had been through these attacks before because she rushed her words in immediately after each cough before the next spasm came on.  Eventually her lungs quieted down and she could explain things in peace.  After dinner we had a Hamline University business professor talk about including people of color in nature.  Looking around I realize for the first time that except for 2 women (one a native American and the other from India) we were all white.  After that talk we had the option of listening or dancing to "Lefty's Band," socializing around a campfire, socializing other places, or going to bed.  I went to the campfire.  I really didn't need that sticky s'more but what the heck?  First campfire of the year?  A s'more seems right.  That night I went to bed listening to the loons calling. I got up early the next morning to go on a bird hike.  Everyone was excited to go on a bird hike with Doug.  I realize now how lucky I was to have him take me on bird hikes before and also to work with him on my first Christmas bird count.  We saw some warblers and had a great morning outside in the woods across from Camp Friendship called "Uncle Foggy's Nature Area."  I wanted to walk down to the lake and I could get pretty close but they have the lake fenced off.  Really?  Fence off the lake at a lakeside camp?  I suppose this is necessary for safety reasons as this camp is designed for kids and adults with disabilities.  After breakfast I went to a class on Minnesota bats and another class on mushrooms. The speaker told us that fungi have 47 genders.  47 genders?  47?  I couldn't take in any more information. My mind got bent at 47 genders and I just couldn't process anymore.  Except I did get the impression that mushrooms are deadly enough that I don't want to take the chance on making any mistakes.  I might eat a morel I found in the woods but only if I opened it and saw it was hollow inside.  Otherwise I'll buy my mushrooms at a store.  I was impressed with the facilities at Camp Friendship.  Except for the lake being locked it was a beautiful place.  The food was delicious.  The facilities were very nice. I ended up getting my burr oak photo in the silent auction. Next year our convention will be in Grand Rapids.  I plan on going.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...