Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Gifts

Many years ago I got a gift from my sister-in-law who lived in Brazil at the time. She gave me a bottle of scent.  I am not a person who wears perfume and I don't like it when other people wear perfume either.  So this bottle, although more than 30 years old, is still half full.  The name of the scent is Eau D'Larc Musc.  I'm not sure if that is Portuguese or not but I know she bought it in Sao Paulo.  I don't think it smells like a lark although the only lark I know is a meadowlark and I have never smelled one of those but only heard them singing to my from the fence posts as I drive past with my windows open in the summer time.  Meadowlarks are such happy birds who sing with their breast struck forward and their mouth wide open. I like to think the meadowlark is singing only for me.  Back to the scent, I do somewhat enjoy the smell.  I use it sparingly.  It comes in a pretty green bottle and I enjoy the package too.  When I do put a dab on in the morning I do it because I need a little more fortitude or confidence that day.  Challenging event ahead?  Dab on a little Eau D'Larc to get through it.  Or, if at the end of the day I feel particularly proud of myself for one reason or another, I will put on a dab before I go to bed.  Maybe I held back a snarky remark that would have gotten nervous laughs but really didn't need to be said.  Most of the time I reward myself it is for keeping my trap shut which says a lot about me and my issues, doesn't it?  My point is, at this time of the year we struggle to find the right gift for each person that expresses our love and appreciation for them.  Gift struggles can stress us out and take away from enjoying the holidays.  The fact of the matter is we never really know when a gift strikes the sweet spot in someone's heart. Even the recipient may not recognize the value of a gift at first.  A gift may take 30 years to ripen in someone's heart.  When it comes to gift giving do your best but be aware you cannot predict what the other person will love and treasure.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...