Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Is 99.3% Good Enough?

I stopped by to visit my orthopedic surgeon who sawed off my old hip and put a new one in.  He said he looked at my x-ray and is 99.3% happy with the results.  At the time I remember thinking that 99.3% happy is pretty good.  The doc seemed very busy and not in the mood for chit chat.  Now that I've had time to think I have to wonder about the 0.7%.  What would the difference be between 99.3% and 100%?  I did have time to ask him about the one thing I'm not able to do yet.  I can't get up from a crouch without grabbing onto something for support.  As a gardener, as a photographer, as a person who sometimes ties shoes for other people, as a camper who occasionally sleeps in a tent, as a chicken owner who needs to clean out the chicken coop, I need to be able to get up from a crouch without help.  Well, maybe need is a strong word.  I just want to be able to do it.  Nothing takes the shine after doing a good deed like tying someone's shoe like asking, "Can you help me up?"   I told the doc I can do it easily in the pool. He said that won't help at all.  What I need to do is put my back against the wall and bend my knees at a right angle and hold that position as long as I can.   He said I will feel it in my glutes and my thighs.  I tried that. Holy cow!  That looks easy but is hard as heck.  Even though I went to the gym and did interval training on the elliptical and the legs exercises on the weight machine, my legs were quivering like a bowl full of jelly after just a minute or two of this exercise.  Still, I am glad to know what to do to prepare myself for getting up from a crouch again.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...