Friday, December 11, 2015

On my lunch hour walk I take a couple people and we walk down to Laddie Lake.  Several weeks ago the lake froze over.  Suddenly the winds were not visible on the water surface.  A thin layer of ice made the lake surface completely flat.  The ice made quite a difference in the appearance.  Lately, with the unseasonably warm weather, I wondered if the ice would go out.  Today that happened. As we approached the lake we could see the southern wind pushing ripples across the lake.  The north side of the lake, where we walk, had ice from the shore out for about 20 feet or so but most of the lake was open.  I am curious how that change affects the life in the lake. What do the bass and the crappies think about this change?  Do they enjoy a sudden surge of oxygen from all the fresh air and wind action?  Do they like the warmer temperatures or would they prefer frigid water? As I walk along I come to realize I really enjoy keeping a close eye on a lake; even a small pond such as Laddie Lake has much to offer an observer. Someday I'd like to live on a lake.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...