Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Last Minute Needle Pointing

I started a needlepoint Christmas stocking for my new grand daughter in October.  I was in a waiting room at a hospital and instead of using the usual masking tape to seal the edges of the fabric I used paper tape.  I remember nurses asking, "Are you going to get that done in time for Christmas? This year?"  I answered confidently, "Yes!  This year.  Of course this year."  Am I done yet?  Even though I devoted most of last weekend to the Christmas stocking am I done yet?  No, I'm not.  I'm not done yet.  Santa is all done.  The bird and the bear and the soldier and the ball and the present are all done.  Just the darkest part of the sky remains from about the rim of Santa's hat on down to his arm remain undone. And sewing the back on the sock is not done.  I am not going to see my grand daughter until 2016 and she won't be to my house until Jan. 3rd so I have scads of time to finish the sky and sew the back on.  Scads of time!  Plus I have to sew her name on it.  Why does she have such a long name?  Ten letters and four syllables!  Her name is longer than Nicholas. I guess I can put the name on later.  Why did I choose such a long project?  Actually, needle pointing this stocking has forced me to sit down, wear my magnifying eye glasses, enjoy the Christmas tree, enjoy the chickadees and blue jays who come to eat out of my window feeder, and center myself.  I could have spent more of that time cleaning the house but oh, well, this seemed more important.  Plus I have learned something.  I haven't done needle pointing in many years.  I think my last project was finished 30 years ago.  But with needle point I can get relaxed and into a good frame of mind and loose track of time so it's a good craft for me.  I'll get it done.  I have scads of time.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...