Saturday, February 6, 2016

One Day

Dexter and Emma.  Emma and Dexter.  These are the two characters in One Day by David Nicholls.  I chose this book because I had just finished another book by him (Us) that I liked better than this one.  Dexter is not a likable character.  He drinks too much.  He is lazy and impulsive and hedonistic; not to mention selfish.   Maybe he has ADHD.  Sometimes the worst characters make for good stories.  The book took hours and hours to read and 95% of the time I did not like Dexter.  Much of the time I didn't like Emma either because she liked Dexter.  Their relationship is outlines over 20 years and is updated on Saint Swithin's Day (July 15) from 1988 to 2008.  Their relationship is on and off mostly because Dexter is such a stupid jerk.  I never thought it would happen but in the last few pages, I came to like Dexter.  Good story to be able to change my mind like that.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...