Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thinking Ahead To Spring

I'm trying to look past the blowing snow toward spring.  The time has come for me to think about new chickens.  With only one survivor (now named Chickenson Crusoe) I will order some new egg laying chicks.  Girls only!  I'm not interested in roosters because they are loud and unproductive.  There are so many varieties to choose from.  I think once I retire I will travel more so this might be the last bunch of chickens I will call my own. I would like cold hardy chickens and that means chickens with small combs.  I liked the Buff Orpingtons but found them impossible to tell one apart from the other.  It was impossible to name them until only one was left.  So no more Buff Orpingtons.  I liked the Americaunas I had before.  They had green eggs which were cool and they had very pleasant personalities.  They would jump up on my lap or shoulder and make me feel like a pirate.  They were easier to corral than the Buff Orpingtons.  But I would like to try a new kind too.  So I'm thinking I'll get a mix of Americaunas and Polish.  Why Polish?  Because with their mop of head feathers they look extraordinary and because I am also part Polish.  My third reason is that with feathers blocking their view they should be easier for me to catch and put back in their pen.  My neighbor had a Polish that I chicken sat for many times.  I liked that Polish neighbor and enjoyed caring for her.  Polish and Americaunas are  the plan right now anyway.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...