Thursday, February 18, 2016

Sister Act

I went to the theater last night to see "Sister Act."  Dinner and a show is always nice in Chanhassen but lordy, Chanhassen is a long way away.  Like Cinderella I got home just before midnight. I could have used toothpicks to keep my eyes open today because I got 3 hours less sleep than I am accustomed to but it was worth it. I can sleep when I am dead. I was a little worried about going.  Sometimes I revert to a self-conscious eight year old shy girl when I see a nun in full habit.  In this show the nuns were not intimidating.  The nuns were marvelous.  The star who played Deloris was very talented.  Of course she wasn't a nun, she was a talented singer in a night club. Besides a good singing voice and a great ability to dance, I was impressed by the expressive way she moved her beautifully toned arms.  From the way she moved I would guess she has some anxiety issues because she wasn't still even when she was standing still.  All the nuns were great.  What intimidated me (and others) was Clarence.  Clarence is the reason Deloris has to go into hiding at the convent.  So we know that he is a dangerous fellow.  As I watched Clarence sing the song, "When I Find My Baby," I felt very intimidated. He came across as dangerous.  He so convincingly combined his feelings of lust and murder in this song that he had "Domestic Abuser" written all over him.  Three songs come after his solo and before the intermission but my feelings of fear and disgust hung with me.  I swear, if he walked up to my booth during the intermission I might have screamed.  I know it's a show and I normally don't feel this strongly at shows but Clarence really got to me.  We don't see much of Clarence again until the final scene and that was fine by me.  When the nuns band around Delores and kick the bully Clarence to the curb at the end of the show everybody in the theater clapped heartily.  Delores learns she doesn't need fox fur and glitter to be a star.  Her talent is evident no matter what she wears.  Sister Act was a great show and I was lucky to be invited.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...