Sunday, July 10, 2016

A Jealous Little Brother

A friend of mine has a 14 year old son who is jealous of his 17 year old sister.  He's not jealous for reasons you might think. He's not jealous that she is heading off to Mankato State to go to college and the freedom that involves.  He is not jealous that she can drive and get a job.  Born in 2002, he is jealous that she was born in 1999.  She has already lived in two centuries and he hasn't.  She has a chance, if she is lucky, to live in three centuries.  If he is lucky, he will live in two centuries which is something she has already accomplished.  I am impressed with the thinking of this philosophical young man.  I am not as philosophical.  I don't feel accomplished that I have lived in two centuries because I had nothing to do with it.  When we are born is not a choice people can make.  I don't think  like this teen thinks.  The variety of people and the variety of our thoughts are what make this world a beautiful place.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...