Wednesday, July 6, 2016

I Opened A Package From 2009

2009 was the year that I entered the chicken raising hobby.  And it has been very rewarding in ways I could not imagine.  At that time I ordered a coop and a run from a small company in Michigan.  My shipment came on a big truck.  By mistake they sent me a red coop (like I had ordered) and a green run (like I didn't order).  I emailed them and they sent me another run only this time in red.  I set that 4 foot tall, 3 feet wide carton aside and used the green run since I had already put it together.  Between 2009 and 2016 the run has been moved many times.  During the winter the run stays stationary but during the spring, summer, and fall the run gets moved to a new spot of grass every week. The run is showing wear and tear from being lifted and dragged through the prairie grass or across the entire yard.  This run has been attacked by chipmunks, red fox and gray fox.  It holds together but barely.  Soon I am expecting new chicks.  So now seemed to be the appropriate time to assemble the red run.  As I type that sentence I am reminded that murder spelled backwards is red rum.  These runs come unassembled and without directions.  I can tell you this though - the second time putting one together is easier than the first; even when the first was 7 years ago.
Here is the run after 3 hours of work. All ready for new chicks to arrive in July.


In 2009 I sent an email saying a chunk of wood came off one of the legs of the coop. So they sent me more paint in a water bottle.  This red paint has been frozen and heated in my garage since 2009.  The chunk missing seems insignificant now and I had to laugh at the sight of Aquafina red paint.

These are the parts of the run before assembly.  Just opening the carton took a half hour.  I'm glad to have it now though.  A sturdy run will be good for Chicken Caruso and her new Polish and Americana chicks. I told her she is expecting.  Does she understand?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...