Friday, July 22, 2016

Crazy, Evil Vegetable

What this evil vegetable can do to you - no one is immune.
Wild Parsley plant
 This week I learned something new.  Wild parsley, a terrible plant that will raise huge blisters on everybody's skin if they touch the plant and are exposed to sunlight, evolved from a vegetable.  I think of vegetables of being innocent. I was wrong.  Unlike most invasive species that I know, evolved from a mistake by nurseries selling ornamental varieties, this evil scourge evolved from, of all innocent places, the vegetable garden.  A vegetable will burn the heck out of your skin and could, potentially, put you out of work for months!  Who would think a humble vegetable could be capable of such murder and mayhem? Poison ivy will bother some people (me!) and leave others alone.  Wild parsley will blister all of us without discrimination.  I've seen it too.  I've seen entire fields of wild parsley and ditches up to your eyeballs of this dangerous plant.  Crazy, evil vegetable!  What is next?  Killer carrots?  Murderous mushrooms?  Homicidal horseradish?  It makes me rethink being a vegetarian.  As far as I know, there is none by my house.  Let's hope it stays that way.  I can tell you though, if you go to Rice Lake State Park - stay out of the fields and ditches!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...