Thursday, July 21, 2016

Benefits of New Chicks

In this day an age when the news is full of shootings and lives that matter and political opponents who want the opposition "locked up,"  it is helpful to me to have chickens. A mental health professional was shot for helping a client with autism calm themselves.  I have been there, on the sidewalk in the public, calming people with Autism in ways most folks do not understand.  What is the world coming to?  Chickens ground me.  Chickens help me know what matters.  Chickens lower my pulse and lower my blood pressure. With new chicks in my garage, I can call my neighbor and say, "Come over and look at my new chicks."  I can celebrate that I have the kind of neighbor who will come over and admire chicks for a couple hours on a hot summer day.  I see a coworker who is stressed out by an angry phone call. I can relieve her stress just a little bit by talking about my chicks who, when walking around, get tired and fall over and you'd think they were dead but you know they're just so tired they fall asleep while walking around. Once they're  a month old they will loose that funny "fall asleep while walking" behavior.  Those darn chicks, they ground me.  I come home, every day, worried about the temperature of my garage. When I open the garage door with my remote control and see that the temperature of the garage is 90 degrees, I feel a joy I don't normally feel.  My life is changed because of these chickens.  And, by the way,l I have 9 chicks, not 8 like I thought.I missed a pretty important fact and thanks to my neighbor's amazing arithmetic skills, I know better now.  I owe my sibling $5.  Oh, these chicks are so freaking cute I can't stand it.  My neighbor and I talked about names.  I was thinking about the Golden Girls (Dorothy, Blanche, Sophia and Rose).  I think the cuckoo Maran should be named Rose because, of all the Golden Girls, she seems to be on the cuckoo spectrum. For the Polish chickens I though of names like Vladimir and Nicholai. She suggested Little House of the Prairie names such as Laura, Carrie, Mary, Ma Ingalls and Nellie Oleson.  Great ideas my neighbor's have.  What a relief to think about basic things like chicks and survival instead of politics, global warming, and invasive species. I needed a mental break. These chickens provide that for me.  These chicks are just what the doctor ordered.  Oh, and by the way, at lunch today I got suggestions for names for my chicks that include Mildred, Ethyl, Gertrude, Sweet and Sour, Almondine, Kentucky Fried, BBQ, and Fingers.  Also, you might not have known this, in the city of Blaine, a resident needs to apply for a chicken license that costs $45!  What? That really raises the cost of eggs!  Another suggestion was to have a chicken cam so my coworkers can watch my chickens for my while I am at work. Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me page for a Go Pro camera so I can make a live feed for the chicken cam ?  Would you be interested in watching a chicken cam?  Crazy ideas help keep us sane in an world that seems, at times, insane.         


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...