Monday, July 18, 2016

My View

I stayed in a bedroom with this view over the weekend.  As I went to sleep I heard four tree frogs talking, the occasional squawk of a ring necked pheasant, mourning doves cooing and, for some unknown reason, the constant quacking of a mallard duck in the distance.

In the morning I heard and saw a least fly catcher talking.  Robins and grackles added to the chorus. In the distance a sand hill crane bugled. In the naked branches of that dying tree I see a hummingbird perch for a couple minutes waiting for his turn at the sugar water. The rows of soybeans on the hill will improve the soil by capturing and retaining nitrogen. With the soybeans will come Asian ladybugs who will, no doubt, try to climb into this house by the thousands for the winter.

I love staying in this farm house. The rolling hills and green fields have a side effect of making my heart beat a little more slowly and my blood pressure goes down.  My eyes feel comforted with the many shades of green. Yes, I know there is still turmoil in our society but right now, because I am up here, my mind is at ease.  As I left my comfortable room in the morning I was startled to see this hook and eye lock on the outside of the door. I wonder why.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...