Thursday, July 28, 2016

Three Weeks To Say Goodbye

Do you like mysteries?  If so, you will probably like Three Weeks To Say Goodbye by C.J. Box.  It's not as if I didn't like this tale or that the writing wasn't good, it's just that when I read a mystery or a thriller, I feel so dang manipulated by the writing.  I don't like it when the author decides what I feel, what I think, and what I am surprised by.  I don't like how everything wraps up in the end in a tidy "you never saw it coming" package.  I don't watch crime shows on television either. I'd rather the author just told a story. When I read a mystery I disengage from the suspense because it feels forced instead of real.  If I know the book I am about to read is a mystery, I will read the last chapter first and then start at the beginning.  Sherlock Holmes?  Sherlock Holmes is different.  I love Sherlock Holmes stories and I can't explain why. I did enjoy reading an adoptive father's perspective on the joy of adopting and how much pleasure he saw the baby gave to his wife in this story though.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...