Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tired, Old and Not Doing Much Anymore

Yesterday I was in a meeting.  One of the people at the meeting is chronically assertive, loud, and talkative (CALT for short).  She thinks it's appropriate to share every single thought that comes into her head.  I brought a cup of coffee to one guest at the meeting.  They thanked me and said the coffee was good.  I said I was glad to hear it and the coffee was Folgers.  The CALT person said, "Everybody I know grew up with Folgers coffee but not me, my family drank Butternut coffee."  I said, "So (insert name of the person for whom we are meeting here)."  The CALT person said, "Oh, that Sue, she doesn't want me to talk about myself."  And I responded with, "Message received."  I know it was a tad sassy but I have worked with this CALT for 20 years.   I know her.  I know what works and what doesn't work. My comment didn't stop her of course.  She continued to express every thought in her mind and to interrupt other people who are answering questions with her own questions which, if she would just wait a doggone minute, they were going to answer.  I truly believe she thinks these meetings are her chance to engage in performance art.  She is over the top rude and assertive.  After the meeting a coworker said, "Oh, I liked what you said to (insert name of CALT here)!  You got balls."  I was stunned.  Why is an assertive response to rudeness considered masculine?  This was a female coworker telling me this.  I know she meant it as a compliment but I don't have balls.  I have ovaries; tired, old, not doing much anymore ovaries.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...