Friday, July 28, 2017

Rams

I saw the best film this week that I have seen in a long time. This one is about bachelor farmers and seriously, it is like seeing my Uncle Jimmy on the big screen.  The care and love of his flock of sheep, the tender dedication he shows to each animal, you just don't see this kind of depiction in American films.  This farmer doesn't say much and he speaks in Norwegian or Icelandic, I'm not sure but I can't understand a word he says which is much like my Uncle Jimmy.  The kitchen scenes look like my uncle's kitchen. The way the farmer goes to town to socialize reminds me of my uncle too.  There are a few differences of course. My uncle shaves his face and trims his hair. The lonely countryside is filmed in a way I have never seen before.  The photography in the blizzard scene is really high quality film making.  This story is actually about two farmers, two brothers actually who don't speak to each other. The other day I was talking to my neighbor.  I told him another neighbor and I exchange foreign films.  He looked at me as if I confessed I was a Democrat and said, "Oh, you are one of those."  Yes, I am.  You can be one of those too.  Watch a foreign film. Watch "Rams."  Available on Netflix.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...