Thursday, July 6, 2017

When Things Get Quiet

On July 3 I got the bright idea to camp outside in my yard to fend off the fox.  Who camps outside when a soft and comfy bed is so near?  Who camps outside on the evening when our country celebrates our independence with the sounds of war? Ask me if I got any sleep.  No. On the other hand I did learn some things and I have not encountered the fox, to my knowledge since the morning of July 3rd. What did I learn?  My yard is a noisy place. Even without bombs bursting in air it is a noisy place. The chickens move around all night long. The sound of tires traveling the speed limit on county roads can be heard 2 miles before and 2 miles after arrival. When things get really quiet though, when no cars are in the area, no trains are going by, no jets flying overhead, a constant and overlapping chorus of green frogs can be heard in my yard. I have lived here a quarter of a century and did not know that.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...