Friday, July 1, 2022

Day One


 I signed up to be a campground host this month at Schoolcraft State Park. Schoolcraft was actually my third choice. My first choice was Tettegouche and my second choice was Bear Head State Park but they didn't respond. So here I am. Last November I lived for a month in Fort Adams State Park but that was way different than Schoolcraft. At Fort Adams I was in Navy housing. I had my own bedroom and Wi-Fi connection. Here I am in a tent at a park with pit toilets and no showers. I plan to go home in the middle of the week to take showers and do laundry and cook meals on a stove. I do like camping. So far as the host I have only gotten one question. The question was if they could borrow my electricity because they had an inflatable mattress that needed electricity to inflate. I said they could use the electricity. I had to laugh because they had what looks like a four person tent. Once their mattress was inflated it looked like a king sized mattress. I had to chuckle as I watched they try to get it inside of their tent. I think it covers their entire floor.  I took several walks today. This camp ground lies on the Mississippi River. I paused to look at the river for a few minutes. Out of the corner of my right eye I caught sight of a bird as it left a branch. The bird flew fast towards the water. As it hit the half way mark I noticed it was a belted kingfisher. That bird flew as fast as it could into the water with a little splash. The bird was completely submerged. I don't know why that surprised me. How else can a kingfisher catch fish unless they go underwater. They don't scoop them up like a pelican or skim the surface like a black skimmer. After two seconds the belted kingfisher flew off with a fish in it's mouth that looked shiny and about an inch and a half in length. That was cool to see a kingfisher catch it's snack right in front of me like that. A red eyed vireo is in the aspen tree right by me and has been talking constantly ever since I got here. This park is nice because it is small and diverse. Besides big pines it also has aspens and oaks. As host I have a few duties. I was given a book to read and also supplies such as toilet paper, plastic bags, gloves, a first aid kit, maps, bug spray, tick gaiters, a safety vest and a DNR hat to wear. Best of all they left me a good supply of firewood and kindling. I am all set. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...