Sunday, July 3, 2022

Day Two

 I awoke on day two of my stay as campground host at Schoolcraft State Park tired. At one end of this small park is a side channel of the Mississippi River and in that shallow side channel lives an American bittern (nicknamed Swamp Pumper). This bittern first made itself known to me as I was walking on a path near the side channel. I was excited to hear it. Even though my campsite is a ten minute walk away from the side channel I was excited to hear it at 9 p.m. With every passing hour I was less excited to hear the swamp pumper. The bittern talked all night long only to be interrupted by several loon calls. I had a few questions today. One lady needed to buy an annual state park pass. I didn't have any to sell to her. I suggested she could buy one at Scenic State Park. I also learned that if you leave the $35 in an envelope at the kiosk, a state park pass will be mailed to your address.  Later a couple approached me because the man beside them in campsite #9 was having trouble. He is an elderly gentleman with impaired gait and speech. He needed their assistance to assemble his tent. Now he lost his car keys. Had anyone turned in a set of car keys? No one had given me any car keys. As Offspring #2 and I went walking on the paths we kept our eyes peeled for a set of car keys. Later than evening we saw a Locksmith van drive by. I guess the man in campsite #9 can now get into his car.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...