Monday, July 4, 2022

Day Three

This friendly little chipping sparrow comes every day and methodically skips around my camping spot looking for treats. I don't bother the chipping sparrow and the chipping sparrow doesn't bother  me. If I stand still the sparrow will skip right in front of my shoe. After a thorough inspection of the camping site the sparrow skips off onto the duff in the forest. I have come to like this little bird. On day three of my volunteer job as campsite host the campgrounds were very busy and supplies were getting low. When we noticed the wood pile was out of wood Offspring #2 and I went into the locked DNR garage and got six more bundles and set them out. When we noticed the toilet paper in the vault toilets were low we set a new roll in each one. Later we met the woman who has the job of filling the wood supply and cleaning the toilets. She thanked us for helping and stayed to chat for a while. She was very generous and friendly. She offered me the opportunity to take showers or do laundry at her place. She lives on the Mississippi River and she allows people who are paddling the entire length of the river the same thing. She even has a bunkhouse for them to sleep overnight. The people in the campground were fairly quiet but at night we could hear fireworks in the distance. These were prolonged fireworks like the kind a city might offer. The closest towns are Deer River, Cohasset and Grand Rapids.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...