Friday, July 8, 2022

Hosting


 I am back on duty as campground host at Schoolcraft State Park. There was no one here when I arrived shortly after lunch so I took my kayak out for a spin. The current on the Mississippi here is quite strong so I paddled against the current first. I was  hoping to get to the swampy area where I have been listening to the American Bittern call at night but the cat tails and wild rice are too thick for me to get through there. I paddled for about 45 minutes before coming to a rest here where I watched dragon flies chase each other and mate. From here I could hear nothing but the wind in the leaves and the green frogs sounding like loose banjo strings. I could see no evidence of humanity, no power lines, no telephone poles, no cell phone towers and no houses. This could be what the scene looked like a thousand years ago. As I let the current bring me back I could start to hear human voices. Some people were fishing off the dock. One of them was soaking his feet in the water as he fished and a leech attached itself to him. After I loaded my kayak back in my car I drove back to my campsite. A fawn and it's mother were standing on the road. The mother took off to the left and the fawn took off to the right. I hope they find each other again. The red eyed vireo sang to me as I built my campfire to warm up my supper. According to the poster in the toilet Deer River is having Wild Rice Days this weekend with a street dance, bingo, races, beer garden, fire works and a parade. I might have to go to Deer River to watch the parade. I am no longer alone in the park. Six camping spots have been filled besides mine.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...