Thursday, July 7, 2022

The Netanyahus

 Joshua Cohen wrote The Netanyahus: An Account Of A Minor And Ultimately Even Negligible Episode In The History Of A Very Famous Family in 2021. In 2022 this book won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. The book had a plethora of obscure big words. Lucky for me I read it on the Libby app on my phone so if I just put my finger on a word I can pull up the definition. I had to do that often. And some of the words weren't even in the dictionary. I don't know if the author did that to make the narrator, Rubin Blum, a history professor at a fictional college in upstate New York, sound more pompous. Rubin Blum is Jewish and he teaches American history. He is married and has a 16 year old daughter. The first half of the book is about him and his family and the Jewish culture. In the second half he is asked to host the Netanyahu family when Benzion Netanyahu comes for an interview for a job and to give a lecture. Rubin Blum is expecting one guest but Netanyahu brings his wife and three boys. The middle son grows up to be Benjamin Netanyahu, the former prime minister of Israel. The Netanyahus are the worst house guests ever and that section of the book is laugh out loud hilarious. If they came to my house I would have kicked them out the door or called the police if they wouldn't leave. I am certain I missed some aspect of the book because I am not up on Jewish culture nor politics but I did find it entertaining.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...