Monday, July 11, 2022

Trails

 Today I hiked the 2 mile trail at Schoolcraft with a park employee so she could give the gps coordinates of the spots where someone with a chainsaw needs to come and clean up trees that have fallen over the trail. I was happy to have someone to talk to and lucky for me, she is a talker. She showed me the spot on the trail where archeologists found tools and other trinkets left by Henry Schoolcraft in 1820. The Anishinabe guided him to the source of the Mississippi. She also showed me a large round hole in the ground near the pond that I tried to explore but couldn't because the wild rice and bullrushes were too thick. That hole is where the Anishinabe parched their wild rice. She knows a lot about this park. I told her she should write a book about it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...