Monday, July 11, 2022

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

 The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was written by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This is a historical fiction novel about an imaginary actress who reminded me of Elizabeth Taylor. Evelyn was born in a poor area of New York City to Cuban parents. Her mother died young and her father was abusive. She had to get out of the house so she married husband number one at age 14. In the book she is telling her story at age 70 to a journalist who works for a magazine. Evelyn doesn't want her story in the magazine and it is unclear until very late in the story why she chose this journalist. The author wrote Evelyn's story so well I thought I was reading a memoir and I had to remind myself that Evelyn is not a real person. Evelyn is not a saint. Each marriage was for a purpose in advancing her career. One thing I loved about Evelyn is that she knew her worth and was not afraid to bargain for what she deserved.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...