Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Brazoria

I figured out that Google maps takes me to the exit of the National Wildlife Refuges. Lucky for me I saw this sign, stopped, backed up ten feet, and went in the entrance.

I spoke with two Rangers who gave me advice on where to see wildlife. Inside they had a nice wildlife display with buttons so you could hear the sounds of birds and frogs. Surprisingly, the Southern Leopard frog sounds a lot like the Northern Leopard Frog. First I walked this wildlife loop. Even though I sprayed myself with mosquito spray the skeeters were after me big time.



This Refuge has a QR code. I took a picture of the code on my phone and got a audio guided tour of the wildlife drive. I felt like I had a naturalist sitting in the passenger seat.

The disadvantage of using the audio clip is that it disrupted my audiobook and it disrupted the ability of Google to navigate. I am glad I figured that out finally.

Yikes, the skeeters!

I will be fine.

I don't see any alligators. I thought I would. The temperature was 79 degrees.

This is interesting!

I did see dragonflies but they are hard to get a picture when the skeeters are after you.

The two resident White Ibis and Purple Gallinule.

I do not want to see one of these. Okay, I would like to see a baby but not an adult.

This drive took about an hour.

A Great blue heron fishes for lunch. I eat my lunch in my car.

A cormorant poses on a sign.

These White Ibis were dancing up and down like cranes. Unfortunately I didn't see any cranes today.

A flock of buzzards are on the road as I drive out. The approaching truck scares them out of danger.

I just love windmills. My Grandparents had windmills. I arrive at my hotel here in Lake Jackson at exactly 3 o'clock. Score! Oh, that bathtub felt so good. I am happy to get the skeeter juice off of my skin..



 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...