Thursday, February 16, 2023

River Walk

Yesterday I made an appointment to take a sight seeing bus tour which I had to meet at 1 o'clock tomorrow at the Emily Morgan hotel. I wanted to find the hotel which is next to the Alamo. I wanted free parking so I thought I would park at this place which is the John Wood Federal Court House. I took this picture which would later turn out to be important. I went in to use the facilities. My purse got x-rayed and my metal hips got wanded. The officer told me to get in one of those 3 lines. He said due to the recession that would be four dollars. I totally fell, hook, line, and sinker, into his baloney. When he said he was kidding I swatted him with my sun hat. I hit a guy in uniform? Yikes. When I came out he asked if I left my quarters in there. You are a funny man.

Then I just wandered toward the Alamo with no plan in hand.

Despite what my phone said, this is actually the start of the Riverwalk. I could have walked down there.

I went into City Hall and asked if I could take a picture. I was told I could not so I turned to leave. A man came out and said I could take a picture of this hall which has the most of the original tile and woodwork anyway.


I had a nice walk. I thought I would walk until 3, eat my lunch, and head back to the longhorn ranch.

I ate my sandwich and half of my banana and plugged the address of the courthouse into my phone. Things did not work out well. By 6pm I figured this was the wrong courthouse. I arrived closer to the courthouse when my phone lost all charge. The sun is going down. By 8 p.m. I go into a hotel and ask them to call me a cab. I get to the courthouse by 8:30. I cannot find my car. I ask a park police. He walks with me and we push the panic button on the key fob. No car. He calls the San Antonio police. Now the time is 10 p.m. The officer charges my phone and lets me call Offspring #2 on his phone. I know they won't pick up an unknown number. I am right. He calls again. They pick up. I explain why I am riding in the back seat of a police car which is surprisingly comfortable.




I basically get a private tour of the night life in San Antonio which is quite beautiful. The white carriages pulled by horses have pink and blue and purple lights around them which make me think of Cinderella's carriage. By midnight he drops me off at the Days Inn. He gives me a phone card and I borrow the plug in part from the guy at the desk. I charge my phone. I stretch. I have been walking since 11 a.m. and I am beat. Plus my shoulder is sore from carrying my purse on it. Somebody stole my car at the court house which has security cameras all over the place. I ask if I should make a police report now. He tells me to wait. He wants me to go back to the park and see if it is there. If it's not there by 3, file a police report. I am too tired to understand that what he is telling me is that he hoped the thief will bring it back. I text my brother. He says the report should be filed immediately before the car gets to Mexico or Oklahoma but I should do what the officer said. I drink two big glasses of water. I am going to walk .2 miles to buy a toothbrush.

I get the toothbrush and get lost again. I go to another hotel to get a ride. I have to get money from the ATM. I am so flustered and tired I forget my 4 digit code. Highly embarrassed I call Offspring #2 and ask her to order my a Lyft. They stay with me on the phone until Antonio arrives. Unlike the cab driver, Antonio is funny and charming. I get back at 1 in the morning. I take a shower, complete my 5 minute guided gratitude meditation on YouTube, turn on the TV, and sleep until 8.
At 8 I get up to get some coffee and the free breakfast. The coffee is good but the breakfast is pop tarts. I am paying big money and all I get is pop tarts? Pop tarts are not real food. I call my insurance agent. We speak with Progressive. I have an appointment with Enterprise which is a 21 minute walk away. The officers come at 10 a.m. They ask why I didn't file a police report last night. I know, right? They are very funny. They take my key fob and go riding around looking for it. I show them the picture of the court house so they know where to look. They come back in 30 minutes. The car is gone. They said if it was a pickup truck, it would head towards Mexico. They don't know where a Honda Fit would go. By now it is 11 and time to check out. I walk the .2 miles to Denny's and have a Planet Burger with seasoned fries. I can only eat half of it. I take my left overs and walk to Enterprise. The guy there puts more charge on my phone.

I have only 40 dollars a day from insurance but all they have left are Dodge Challengers or an Audi.

An Audi! I have always wanted to drive an Audi.


 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...