Saturday, December 29, 2007

Learning







Jambo! (Hello!) I have flash cards in my pocket and I take them out several times a day to learn new words in Swahili in preparation for my trip. One day Offspring #2 and I watched the Lion King again just so I could practice my new words. Some words are easier for me. Simba means lion - that I remember from Tarzan movies. Twiga is giraffe - tall and skinny like Twiggy. Other words are hard. There is a group of words starting with ny that are hard for me. Nyama is meat. Nyati is buffalo. Nyani is baboon. Nyumbu is zebra. Of those four words, I guess zebra correctly the most. I can get it, it will just take me a while. I talked to my tour guide last night. I told her I was worried that I would hold up the group because I don't walk very fast. One of the other group participants has paraplegia. I can walk circles around her.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...