Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Disbelief

A healthy young man I know died suddenly yesterday. I was shocked to hear the news. Sometimes poetry helps channel my grief, so here goes:


The phones that will not ring
Sit powerfully silent in their cradle.
We stare at the phone in disbelief
Comprehending, we’re not able.

We crave for a smart pat on the back
The long distance “Howdy” he would send.
The penalty box is out of service,
There are no more indiscretions to amend.

Would I have acted differently
If I knew that visit was our last?
His points, his water, the Twins, his night
Conversation routine, intense and fast.




His compliments were genuine
His laugh loud, whole-hearted.
Edgy, pushing the boundary
Of himself and what we wanted.

RIP

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...