Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Respect, Integrity, and Dignity


This has been a tough week or two for all of us at work. I know I am suffering. I've left my keys and wallet unattended twice this week. I've put my foot in my mouth so often I've becoming used to the taste of shoe leather. Everyone is very sad because one of our coworkers died in a domestic violent tragedy. Media coverage of this event has sharpened the pain and put salt into the wounds. So much is said and written about the victims of domestic abuse. It's true that their loss puts a HUGE hole in the fabric of our society and the ripples from that hole cause us all to flounder. What worries me is that some foolish bully will point to some news article and use it like a scary weapon to further intimidate their partner into staying in an abusive relationship. I wish the media would focus on what the foolish bully has lost. He can't go to work. He can't drive his vehicle. He can't see his daughter - at least for a while. He can't walk around the block or go to his favorite bar. He can't drink alcohol. He can't even breathe fresh air or open a window. I've listed eight things he can't do but the stark fact remains, the victim can't do those things anymore either. The abuser has acted in a foolish, short-sighted and violent manner and has lost much as well. He has lost the respect of the peaceful people in our society. Respect is something we all give each other and it is a huge honor because to loose it you must demonstrate with your behavior that you do not deserve it. The abuser has lost his integrity, another priceless commodity because it is the essence of our souls. He has lost his dignity. Maybe if our society focused more on important things like respect, integrity and dignity, we'd have a more peaceful world in which to live.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...