Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mosaic


Here is a small picture of the glass mosaic patio table I made in community education class. We finished them last night. Mine is a sun face in case you can't tell. It was really simple to make. To complete the project I had to break glass into pieces which is lots more fun when you do it on purpose than when you have done it by accident. Has anyone else here accidentally sat on a storm window carelessly laid on a bed? Anyway, after drawing the design on the plywood, I glued yellow and orange little squares and triangles to make the sun and the rays. I glued a border of yellow squares. Then I took a big square of turquoise plate glass (14"x14"), covered it with a towel, put a pair of scissors underneath the glass and the towel, and hit it. Wow, what fun. I love being constructively destructive. I glued the shards of glass into the remaining background space starting with the larger pieces and ending up with tiny slivers. Last night we took black grout and smeared it all over the table. I really ground it into the crevices and empty spots. Then we took terry towels and wiped the excess off. Voila! The table looked so much better with the black grout. We set our tables together to admire them. Five other students made dragon fly designs. The only man in the class made a geometric border with black and white tiles and a small sun face in the middle. His wife drew a loon free hand and surrounded it with this milky blue glass that really looked like clouds reflected on a lake surface. She cut a tiny piece of red glass for the eye. She is giving hers to her father for his birthday. That is one lucky Dad. I'm keeping mine.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...