Sunday, September 11, 2011

Could Be An Easy Rider

Today the motorcycle was the main mode of transport. I had a knitting/picnic get together with some friends in a park this morning. After that I met my offspring for a birthday lunch at a Thai restaurant in Uptown.  The timing was tight so I had to take major roads like 169, 694, and 100.  I had a birthday present and a birthday cooler attached to my motorcycle seat with two bungee cords.  At one point, on 694, I was sure the boxes had slipped and fallen off.  I said a bad word as I thought about the card with money inside the box.  Why hadn't I thought to put the card in a safer place?  I finally got off to a parking lot and lo and behold, the boxes were still there.  They had slipped to one side and could not be felt with my left hand when I checked.  Whew!  I strapped them up tighter and proceeded on my way.  I would have made it in time but I forgot to allow an extra ten minutes for parking in Uptown.  After a delicious lunch, I headed to the health club to work off those pad Thai calories.  Something in Asian food makes me so thirsty.  I stopped at Cub Foods to buy my second soda of the day.  It was delicious.  Since Cub Foods and my fitness club share a parking lot, I did a dangerous thing.  I moved my bike without wearing my orange vest, gloves or helmet.  In first gear, I tooled through the parking lot in first gear with a bare head and bare hands.  I still had my boots and jacket on though.  I felt so free!  I felt like that Honda feller in Easy Rider.  No, no, that is an exaggeration.  I didn't feel that naked but it did feel good to feel the wind in my hair and to be able to hear everything.  I can see better without the restrictions of the helmet.  Now I can totally see why people ride without helmets.  I get it now.  It's a lot more fun to dress appropriately for the weather instead of the arctic like I always do.  I wish Minnesota would bring back the mandatory helmet law.  Then I wouldn't even be tempted.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...