Wednesday, September 7, 2011

If You See Me Sobbing

If you happen to drive by me on the street and see me sobbing in my car, it's because I'm listening to the story of Jaycee Dugard and her novel, My Stolen Life.  Golly, who couldn't cry hearing parts of this well-told story?  If you remember back, Jaycee was abducted as an eleven year old girl.  She was in the fifth grade.  By the time she was rescued, she was 29 and had two children of her own.  Her life was stolen.  Jaycee reads her novel herself so I am listening to her actual lisping voice.  It's unbelievably moving.  And although Jaycee is in her 30's now, in some ways her growth has been stunted by her experiences and she is still a naive little girl in some respects.  And even though she is free from her tormenters, Phillip and Nancy Gurrido, she is not really free. Her face is recognizeable and as a good Mom, she has to maintain a normal life for her daughters and is not free to go to school carnivals or football games like other mothers do.  I haven't quite finished the book yet but I know that Jaycee is an amazing person.  Her ability to adapt, endure, protect and explain outperform that of a regular person.  She is a survivor and a heroine.  I'm proud she is not keeping Phillip and Nancy Gurrido's secrets any longer. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...